In a conversation with a couple who are new members with us, I was asked if I ever recommend books. Of course, I do so in sermons, but I have also used this blog from time to time. Here are some older books just in case you still have not read them. Some are in the Crestview library.
ETERNITY IN THEIR HEARTS by Don Richardson
LORDS OF THE EARTH by Don Richardson
THE PEACE CHILD by Don Richardson
Don is one of the most engaging missions writers ever. His books are hard for me to put down.
BILL WALLACE OF CHINA by Jess Flethcer
I know Jess Fletcher personally and studied under him at Logsdon in Abilene. I wept when I had finished this book. I was deeply moved.
FINDING GOD IN UNEXPECTED PLACES by Philip Yancey
WHAT’S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE by Philip Yancey
COME BEFORE WINTER by Chuck Swindoll
Any book you can find by J. Sidlow Baxter. I sat under his preaching for a week on one occasion and have never forgotten how profound the experience was for me.
MORE TO COME . . .
Love is silence when my words would hurt.
patience when my neighbor is curt.
deafness when a scandal flows.
thoughtfulness for other’s woes.
promptness when stern duty calls.
courage when misfortune falls.
truth in every situation I am in.
temperance to resist lust and sin.
gentleness to help those who fall.
faith to trust God what ere befall.
This past year has been a blur. Between personal responsibilities and church responsibilities, free time has been almost non-existent. One activity that has suffered the most is that of posting blogs. I am told that fewer and fewer people follow blogs in the “twitter” world in which we live. Even if I am only writing to record my thoughts for later reflection, I intend to blog on. God has been good to us this year even though our challenges have been many. Many friends have gone to be with the Lord this year. We will miss them until we see them again. Many others have come into the Kingdom of God. We exist as a church to the purpose of seeing His Kingdom increase.
I want to offer my prayer for all who read this that God will grant you deep and abiding peace in the midst of this troubled world and that you may have full confidence of your victory in Jesus in this season of the celebration of the coming of Christ. He has come, and He is coming again!
Sunday I brought a message with the above title. As promised here is the list of fifteen stated reasons in Scripture that Jesus came into this world. We need to think of Christmas with God’s stated purpose for sending his Son in our minds and hearts.
1. Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. 1 Timothy 1:15
2. Jesus Christ came into the world to call sinners to repentance. Mark 2:17
3. Jesus Christ came into the world to seek and to save the lost. Luke 19:10
4. Jesus Christ came into the world to demonstrate the true purpose of life and to give himself as a ransom. Matthew 20:28
5. Jesus Christ came into the world to be a King and to bear witness to the truth. John 18:37
6. Jesus Christ came into the world to do the will of the Father. John 6:38
7. Jesus Christ came into the world to be a Light in the world. John 12:46
8. Jesus Christ came into the world that men might have the Abundant life. John 10:10
9 Jesus Christ came into the world to judge the world. John 9:39
10. Jesus Christ came into the world to preach or proclaim the good news about the Kingdom of God.
11. Jesus Christ came into the world to die on the cross. John 12:27
12. Jesus Christ came into the world to be a Divider of men. Matthew 10:34-35 (We must choose between Christ and other loyalties which often brings division.)
13. Jesus Christ came into the world to fulfill the law. Matthew 5:17
14. Jesus Christ came into the world as a demonstration of God’s love. 1 John 4:10
15. Jesus Christ came into the world because the Father sent him. John 20:21
That is why He came!
In 1 John, John has much to say about the new life we receive when we are born of God. The following truths are gleaned from the pages of the epistle.
Those who are born of God: 1. Keep his commandments. 2:3-4
2. Walk as he walked.2:5-6
3. Love others. 3:14
4. Do not love the present world. 2:15
5. Confess and receive Jesus. 5:12
6. Practice righteousness 2:29, and do not make a practice of sinning. 3:9-10
7. Possess the Spirit. 4:13
8. Listen to the Word submissively. (The Apostolic word) 4:6
9. Believe that Jesus is the Christ. 5:1
10. Overcome the world. 5:4